Good afternoon! It seems like we have another 6 weeks of winter since the groundhog saw his shadow. If we are going to have some cold, I want some snow of a decent amount to go with it. We all need the fun of acting like kids, building snowmen, and eating snow ice cream. If we have snow in the coming weeks, let’s make sure we avoid any injuries.
Just a few updates –
1. Dr. Long asked me to remind everyone the deadline for submitting MS ACTE proposals is coming quickly. If you have a great idea and would share it, the proposal submission deadline is February 13. Go to the RCU website and look at the bottom of the page for the link regarding Call for Proposals. http://www.rcu.msstate.edu/
2. Summer training information will be published on our website soon. Keep checking the website for upcoming sessions. The link for finding training is as follows: http://www.rcu.msstate.edu/Professional-Learning/Upcoming-Professional-Learning.aspx
3. Due to a request for a special M-STAR training session, we have added the following course to the spring courses list. If you are interested in learning more about classroom management, Online PL M-STAR Standard 16 Making Classroom Management Your Strength will begin February 16. You must register for this session by February 10. The course is $60, two-weeks long, and strictly online. You will earn 1 CEU or 5 SEMIs for completing the session.
4. Look online at our newly revamped site! It is streamlined and looks great. Visit http://www.rcu.msstate.edu/ to see it. The current Connections publication is posted on the front page for viewing.
5. To find upcoming online professional learning sessions, visit the RCU website at http://www.rcu.msstate.edu/Professional-Learning/Upcoming-Professional-Learning.aspx.
Some of you might be interested in the Stossel in the Classroom essay contest. Students participating and winning could earn cash prizes and trips to New York City for the student and teachers. Essay submission deadline is February 17. The topic is “War on the Little Guy.” Here is the link with details.
If you are interested, Stossel gives away free DVDs every year of hot topics covered. You can get your free DVD by ordering from this link. http://stosselintheclassroom.org/essay_contest/ Topics include Overregulation, Protecting Endangered Species, Regulating Your Ride, Internships, and more.
February is Career and Technical Education month. To get ready for career and technical education month, you might like to check out some of these resources. They can help you with recruiting, connecting with policy makers to support CTE, and more. The theme for the month is Recognizing Classroom Innovators. There is a sample press release template available. (Disclaimer – to access many of the resources, you will need to be a member of ACTE)
As we all know, President’s Day is this month. Some will be out of school for this holiday. If you are in school, you might be interested in some of these activities. Check them out.
George Washington’s World for Kids
4th of July 2014 – Washington to Obama (video)
Canvas had an upgrade on January 31. One of the upgrades included a change to quizzes. You have access in Canvas to a Quiz Statistics Feature Option as well as a Quiz Log for a Student. Check out the information. This can be of help to you with differentiating instruction.
Please remember to send all requests for help of any type (examples – Canvas, MyPLC, and Assessment) to the Help Desk. You may email the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email will be directed to the appropriate person for assistance.
Have a great day and week!