Well, another month of school has come and gone! I simply cannot believe how quickly time is flying for the year. The school year will be over before we know it.
We have only four online professional learning classes left for the spring semester with any openings.
- Classroom Management III – It begins this Monday, March 4. If you would like to register for this course, you will need to call the RCU and speak with Vickie Hampton or Kristi Jones to register and pay for it by phone. It is $60 and earns 1 CEU. You must call by noon on Friday to enroll in this course. This class is two weeks long and strictly online.
- IHL College Knowledge Middle School – It begins this Monday, March 4. If you would like to register for this course, you will need to call the RCU and speak with Vickie Hampton or Kristi Jones to register and pay for it by phone. It is $30 and earns 3 CEUs. You must call by noon on Friday to enroll in this course. This course is for any educator who would like to help his or her students be more career or college ready. This class is four weeks long and is strictly online.
- Twitter in the Classroom – It begins Monday, March 11. If you would like to register for it, you will need to register via MyPLC by Tuesday, March 5. It is $60 and earns 1 CEU. The course is two weeks long and is strictly online.
- Propulse Basics – It begins this Monday, March 18. If you would like to register for it, you will need to register via MyPLC by Wednesday, March 13. It is $100 and earns 4 CEUs. This course is four weeks long and is strictly online. The course is designed to assist educators become more familiar with possible computer usage and its applications prior to testing for the Propulse test, one of the requirements for certification in the CT areas.
These four classes will fill quickly and are the last classes available for anyone needing CEUs for license renewal before June 30. The next sessions of any classes will be this summer. Find summer sessions at our website at the following: http://www.rcu.msstate.edu/ProfessionalLearning/OnlinePD/CourseListing.aspx.
Check out these next links.
The first link takes you to a really short entry regarding 21st century skills needed by our students. It relates six skills that are needed for student success. See if you don’t like the new 6 R’s. No longer do we have the 3 R’s in education, we have 6 R’s.
The next link is to a YouTube video published by Edutopia. We are all aware of the importance of collaboration in the classroom. However, have you considered how incorporating collaboration in your classroom activities can assist your students in developing a deeper understanding of content?
Performance based learning (PBL) is a critical component in many of our classrooms. If you feel unsure of the process, why you would need to incorporate PBL in your classroom, or if you need to get some ideas or resources for PBL and its connection with Common Core, check this link.
Time magazine has a series of videos available that might be of interest to many of you. Check out this link. I really liked the one on Star Wars since I am a Star Wars fan and grew up with the originals way back when the original came out in 1977. Shh…I am not telling my age here because I am only 29, with a few years of experience. Back to the point, you can do a search of different news videos to show students. These were free for viewing. I saw several that dealt with energy, currency, and politics.
I will end the resources information with this one. This site provides several resources for those teaching digital media or similar topic. There are pdfs that can be downloaded. One is a 20 page document that explains digital media literacy.
Craig has added a button to the RCU Blackboard page. It is a test feature to see if your computer is “ready” to work in Blackboard. Click the TEST BROWSER button in the upper left corner of the Blackboard login page. Any features that are needed to successfully use Blackboard will show with a red X beside the named item. Features that are compatible will be shown with a green checkmark.
If you are enrolled in any of our online professional learning courses and have questions, please contact your instructor.
Please let us know if we can be of help to you with ensuring our students success in the classroom and future career aspirations.
- 10 ways to Ensure Significant Content is part of Project Based Learning … PBL Essential Elements Series (21centuryedtech.wordpress.com)
- PBL Made Easy With Blended Learning (catlintucker.com)
- Project Based Learning, Session 1 (lpahomov.wordpress.com)
- How PBL Is Changing Education (tutoringtoexcellence.blogspot.com)
- Student Engagement and Project Based Learning (aeseducation.com)
- Featured PBL: All About the Mayas (gingerlewman.wordpress.com)